On a news I post before, I have said that I have activated email subscription feature. On default wordpress installation (at least happen to me), there is no email subscription feature thus I have to create it manually. In this article we will discuss about how to enabling email subscription using FeedBurner.
What is Feed and FeedBurner
On short a feed (web feed or news feed) is a data format used for providing users with frequently updated content. Content distributors syndicate a web feed, thereby allowing users to subscribe to it. In other word, it is a mechanism to allow user subscribe to any content made by someone.
Feedburner is one of Feed Syndicate which deliver feed to people who have subscribed. This service is owned by Google and you can sign in using your google account to register your site.
Setup a FeedBurner Feed
First, make sure you have a feedburner feed. If you don’t have one already, do following step:
- Go to Feedburner (http://feedburner.com/)
- Login using your Google Account (your GMail account is Google Account)
- Type your site URL, for example xathrya.id to an empty textbox labeled by Burn a feed right this instant.
- FeedBurner then will search for RSS feed on your site. Pick one if there are many feeds you have.
- Once FeedBurner found your site’s RSS feed, you will be asked two thins: Feed Title and Feed Address. Type in a title – any title you like – and complete the URL you want to identified your feed.
- Complete the registration, and you will see a “congratulation” page.
OK, we have got FeedBurner. Once you are logged in, set the feed.
- Click on the link that says “My Feeds” (located on top)
- Select the feed from the list
- Click on “Publicize”
- Click on “Email Subscriptions” (located on the left-hand side)
- Verify that “Feedburner” is selected and then click “Activate.”
- You will then got HTML codes. Copy the code provided in the box.
- Login to your WordPress’ administrator site
- Click on “Appearance”
- Click on “Widgets”.
- “Paste” code to a particular widget which display HTML content.
And thus the step for activating email subscription. Enjoy 😀